Pages

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Mind Wide Open ~ May


First of all, I would like to share the award I received from Rayna at Coffee Rings Everywhere.  She said, and I quote:
"I'm exercising my poetic license, and am passing it on to bloggers who touch the heart with the visual images they create".  So I will share one of my photos with you now.



Thank you Rayna...you are too sweet to me.  If you haven't visited her blog before..today is a good day to do so.  She is a wonderful writer all the way from India.  She has a wonderful point of view and a great sense of humor.  Go take a peek.

Now on to the competition.  Mind Wide Open Challenge will be open for voting sometime May 9th.  The voting will be held at Shabby Cottage Studio .  This is hosted by Gail Schmidt!

Here is my entry:










She didn't feel courageous.  Yet many said she was!  She had gone about her life and had done the things that any person would do.  Laundry, dishes, dusting and the like.  Raised her son with determination and pride.  Now she was going to school to get her degree in art and the work sometimes felt overwhelming.  She is so much older than her peers.

She had built her sculpture and put it in the critique area and her peers had given her a pleasant discourse on her work.  But nothing of substance, really.  Sarah was disappointed and very tired.  She just felt she was missing something.  Her work seemed static and strangely remote.  Sarah just didn't know where to go and what to do next.

She was sitting in her studio space and all around her, work was going on.  Eric was carving stone, Bill was shaping steel and Lisa and Mary were welding.  Sarah decided to start a new piece and maybe, just maybe, it would work this time.  Just like her drawings do.

As she approached the band saw, she noticed Lisa welding and she was pointing the flames over her head.  Sarah told her not to do that.  But Lisa continued anyway.  As Sarah was cutting her piece of wood...she noticed a bright flame run past her.  Oh my God!  It was Lisa and she was on fire.  Sarah tackled her and made her go down on the floor.  Then she started beating out the flames.  Eric came over and helped and Sarah went and got a bucket of water and brought that over and doused Lisa with it.  Thank God!  The fire was out and Lisa was only singed. 

She saw that Lisa was okay and Sarah went back to cutting her wood.  She felt a little shaky but she knew that would pass.  She had done stuff like this before.  Others around her were saying what a great thing she had done.  It didn't feel great...felt scary and real and she was glad it was over and that Lisa was okay.  Sarah wasn't feeling too heroic.  She was more focused on getting this new sculpture to work out.  Besides, she only burned her hands a little bit.  Some ice would probably be in order.


Hope you enjoyed Sarah's story.  The word that was suggested we use was COURAGE.  This is a true story by the way.  Just the names have been changed.

Hope you all have a magically creative and blessed day!

Hugging you
SueAnn

19 comments:

Brian Miller said...

first, your park bench pic is amazing. love the skin you overlaid...then you other pic is really cool too...love all the little bits...and the story was pretty amazing as well..smiles.

Dianne said...

your entry is lovely
so genuine and poignant

the bench photo has a sense of longing about it that is wonderful

thank you for visiting my petals post

Kristina P. said...

I love the story and the piece.

Unknown said...

oh , that bench picture is so inviting.
your story is uplifting.

the post, warmed my heart. thx

SandyCarlson said...

That was quite a story. Thank you. And thank you for the beautiful images.

Hilary said...

Your work.. your words. your photo.. all so beautiful and tender.

CiCi said...

The picture of the bench is peaceful and inviting. And the story brings out the hero we all have inside when it is needed.

Joanna Jenkins said...

I'm just catching up on my reading. I LOVED your interview with Eddie Bluelights and learned so much more about you. Thank you.

Your artwork is always so lovely. The photo and contest entry are stunning-- so is your writing. It's always a pleasure visiting your blog SueAnn.

Cheers,
jj

auntiegwen said...

I do love your park bench pic. xx

Natasha said...

That photograph of the bench is so amazing! If a picture is worth a thousand words, yours are worth a million.

And the story was beautiful too. Can you remind us again on May 9th- I definitely want to vote for it if I can.

Maggie May said...

I love empty park bench photos. They can be poignant. I am sure we all have a story to tell about them.

Nuts in May

Jill said...

What a beautiful story, and an equally beautiful work of art! Good luck!

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Jill

Diane Duda said...

i do love the art and the story. beautifully written.
xo
Di

Sarah Knight said...

interesting read : )

Your entry looks fabulous!

Riki Schumacher said...

Hi SueAnn, beautiful artwork, and a wonderful story. Very talented girl! Love them both.

Thank you so much for your warmth and support regarding my little Chester. I truly appreciate it. I'm on the mend. Please take care, hugs, Riki

Bee said...

I feel that two comments are needed because both of these pieces are really quite lovely.

There is something really timeless and promising about that empty bench . . . it really "speaks" to me.

Cindy said...

Your entry looks wonderful, what a story, someone could have been seriously burnt, there is a hero there. take care, have a fab day.

Jackie said...

SueAnn..I came here from Eddie's blog....and I love what I see here.
I do hope that you take care of you. I looked at the graphic of the gastric bypass, and hope that all works out well for you.
As I scrolled down through your blog, I see immediately that you have incredible artistic talent.
It's so nice to meet you....
Smiles to you from Jackie

Seahorse Ranch Girl said...

Well, I'm sort of speechless. First the collage grabbed my attention. Then I started to skim the story. Then I started to read every word of the story. It takes my breath.